2022 ASEAN Para Games
|Host city||Surakarta 19|
|Events||24 events in 11 sports|
|Opening ceremony||30 July|
|Closing ceremony||6 August|
|Officially opened by||President Joko Widodo (expected)|
|Main venue||Manahan Stadium|
The 2022 ASEAN Para Games, officially known as the 11th ASEAN Para Games, is an upcoming biannual multi-sport event for athletes with physical disabilities to be hosted in Surakarta, Indonesia. Participants are expected from 11 countries in Southeast Asia. The games are patterned after the Paralympics.
Originally set to be host by Vietnam in 2021, the Games were initially cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Vietnam before hosting rights were transferred to Indonesia. It is also originally scheduled from 23 to 30 July 2022, later moved to 30 July to 6 August 2022.
Originally the 2021 ASEAN Para Games was intended to be held in Vietnam, the same host nation as the 2021 Southeast Asian Games. The games were planned amidst the COVID-19 pandemic in Vietnam, posing logistical challenges in organizing the event.
Originally scheduled to be held from 17 to 23 December 2021, games were cancelled in October 2021 after the 2021 Southeast Asian Games was postponed to May 2022 due to the pandemic. This would have been the second time Vietnam would have hosted the games, last staging them in 2003.
Malaysia and Indonesia expressed willingness to host the games as an alternative to its cancellation. The Philippines has supported moving the games to a country willing to host the games even if lesser number of events will be staged.
In January 2022, Surakarta in Indonesia was announced as the main host city for the games. However hosting rights could not be immediately awarded due to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) sanctions in effect at the time. The hosting rights was only formally awarded to Indonesia on 16 February 2022 after the sanctions were lifted.
All 11 members of ASEAN Para Sports Federation (APSF) are expected to take part in the 2022 ASEAN para Games.
The ASEAN Para Sports Federation in December 2021 agreed to organize events for 11 sports for the 2021 Para Games then scheduled to be hosted in Vietnam. CP football, cycling, sitting volleyball, and wheelchair basketball where proposed but were not added to the calendar due to ""economic reasons and difficulties in preparing venues and facilities". When Indonesia was named new host, all but cycling were proposed to be added to the calendar.
- Football 5-a-side
- Football 7-a-side
- Sitting volleyball
- Table tennis
- Wheelchair basketball
- Wheelchair tennis
- Bola.com. "Pelaksanaan ASEAN Para Games XI di Solo Mundur 1 Pekan". bola.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 25 April 2022.
- Purnomo, Ari. "Gelaran ASEAN Para Games di Solo Diundur, Apa Sebabnya?". detikjateng (in Indonesian). Retrieved 25 April 2022.
- "Safety first priority of SEA Games 31, ASEAN Para Game 11". VietnamPlus. Vietnam News Agency. 17 June 2021. Retrieved 1 November 2021.
- "Vietnam puts forward 11 sports for ASEAN Para Games 2021". Voice of Vietnam. Vietnam News Agency. 31 December 2020. Retrieved 1 November 2021.
- Nghia, Phu. "Vietnam cancels hosting ASEAN Para Games - VnExpress International". VnExpress International. Retrieved 1 November 2021.
- Palmer, Dan (20 April 2021). "Eleven sports confirmed for ASEAN Para Games in Hanoi". Inside the Games. Retrieved 1 November 2021.
- Villar, Joey (3 November 2021). "Philippines not giving up on ASEAN Para". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 3 November 2021.
- "Solo city prepares to host ASEAN Para Games". Antara News. 26 January 2022. Retrieved 18 February 2022.
- "11th ASEAN Para Games will be in Solo, Indonesia set on July 23-30". BusinessWorld. 18 February 2022. Retrieved 18 February 2022.